Get in touch for media-related inquiries
Send questions using this form, or contact Meghann Gibbons
Points of Light is pleased to announce the addition of five leaders to its board of directors. Each individual brings an enduring commitment to service and will apply their expertise to Points of Light’s mission to inspire, equip and mobilize people to take action that creates change in communities around the world.
The newly appointed members to the Points of Light board of directors are:
• Jeff Hoffman, an accomplished corporate executive who has served on the global stage. Through board and commission leadership roles, he has a distinguished history working with business, nonprofit, civic and government agencies on strategic direction and innovative programs. Jeff has a professional portfolio made up of four components, Jeff Hoffman & Associates; Founding Leader of the Institute for Corporate Citizenship & Philanthropy at The Conference Board; Corporate Governance; and Pro Bono Volunteering/Service. A previous member of the Points of Light Board, Jeff has returned to serve as a member of the 2021 board of directors.
• Gregg Petersmeyer, the chair of America’s Promise Alliance, which he founded along with leaders including General Colin Powell. He has served on the White House staffs of two presidents and helped President George H.W. Bush make civic engagement, social entrepreneurship and “Points of Light” hallmarks of his presidency. In addition, Gregg was the founding director of the White House Office of National Service; created the first daily presidential recognition program in American history from the White House; helped establish the Points of Light Foundation; and was instrumental in the passage of and President Bush signing the National and Community Service Act of 1990, which created the Commission on National and Community Service, the forerunner of the current federal corporation. A previous member of the Points of Light Board, Gregg has returned to serve as a member of the 2021 board of directors.
• Josh Romney, the president of The Romney Group, which owns and operates multifamily, office and industrial properties across the U.S. Josh is also the chairman and owner of Intercap Lending, an independent mortgage bank based in Utah. Intercap is a direct Fannie, Freddie, Ginnie seller/servicer and is licensed in 47 states. Josh serves as the Chairman of the Board of Charity Vision International, which partners with local doctors in developing nations in an effort to establish sustainable eye care programs. The organization currently performs over 100,000 surgeries annually in 28 different countries.
• Sue Toomey, a seasoned professional with more than 20 years of experience running businesses and championing global causes. As executive director for HandsOn Hong Kong—one of Points of Light’s 200 global affiliates—since 2016, Sue’s focus is developing the strategic direction of the organization, leading the team to develop meaningful community service programs and driving the organization’s mission of empowering everyone in Hong Kong to volunteer. Finally, Sue chairs the Points of Light Global Network Affiliate Assembly.
• Marie Unanue, a published author and kindness advocate. In 2017, Marie wrote her first book, “The Adventures of Phatty and Payaso: Central Park.” Marie’s book stresses the importance of kindness, self-control, grit, social awareness and many other essential character skills. Marie’s mission when writing “The Adventures of Phatty and Payaso: Central Park,” was to implore children everywhere to consider the impact bullying has on other kids while engaging readers in a diverse, fun and entertaining story.
“All five of our new board members collectively share our vision to inspire, equip and mobilize millions of people to take action that changes the world,” said Natalye Paquin, president and CEO of Points of Light. “This dynamic group of leaders provides a perfect complement to our current board. We look forward to leveraging their skills and energy in our work.”
The new cohort of board members began their service on Jan. 1, 2021, and will serve a three-year term.
ABOUT POINTS OF LIGHT
Points of Light is a global nonprofit organization that inspires, equips and mobilizes millions of people to take action that changes the world. We envision a world in which every individual discovers the power to make a difference, creating healthy communities in vibrant, participatory societies. Through affiliates in 200 cities across 37 countries, and in partnership with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light engages 5 million volunteers in 14 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people to bear where it’s needed most.
Sign up for email updates and the latest news from Points of Light!