Vice President, generationOn
Vice President, generationON
New York, New York
Do you believe that innovation drives results and passion and creativity overcome obstacles? Then join a fast-paced, mission-driven organization with a decidedly entrepreneurial spirit.
Points of Light (POL) inspires, equips, and mobilizes people to take actions that change the world. We envision a world in which everyone has discovered their power to make a difference, creating healthy communities in vibrant, participatory societies. For more information please go to www.pointsoflight.org.
generationON is the youth and family division of Points of Light. generationOn focuses on igniting the power of all kids to make their mark by creating meaningful change in the world. With service-learning and volunteer action at its core, generationOn mobilizes the energy, ingenuity and compassion of families and young people, starting at an early age, to discover their power and potential to solve real world problems through service. Programs like Campaigns, Days of Service, Kids Care Clubs and Teen Service Clubs support youth in communities across the country and around the world in completing hands-on service projects to address local needs.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Points of Light seeks a Vice President to lead the operational framework and programmatic execution for generationON, our youth and family division. The successful candidate will contribute to strategic planning, program and metrics goal setting, implementation, outcome measurement and reporting and funding for Points of Light’s youth and family volunteer efforts; reporting to the new Chief Administrative Officer of Points of Light.
The successful candidate will be a dynamic, entrepreneurial, and experienced program architect and manager who is passionate about the opportunity that the youth and family service sector has to make significant contributions to long term community stabilization and resiliency.
The VP of generationON will manage a team to expand program offerings through partnerships, service clubs, and building online and virtual resources; as well as emerging gamification theory to encourage youth engagement and DIY and/or place-based service opportunities for youth and families.
Among the key expectations for the Vice President of generationOn:
Program Development and Implementation
- Work with internal and external subject matter experts to drive and focus volunteer activities for young people and families;
- Implement campaigns to promote volunteering and service through themed micro-grant programs;
- Provide strategic and creative ideas and direction to grow a new global initiative for family volunteering;
- Expand the generationON national presence through partnerships, speaking engagements and other venues;
- Manage and support the Youth Advisory Council;
- Working with the team, create and deliver on new ways of volunteering and youth service;
- Partner with other organizations and entities to expand youth and family service;
- In collaboration with the Development team, lead generationOn team through a planning process to meet annual outreach and fundraising goals;
- Serve as the lead spokesperson on youth and family volunteering.
- Provide supervision and support to 3 direct reports that result in their professional growth and supports growth of generationOn and Points of Light;
- Create and manage a high performing team while meeting or exceeding goals;
- Share responsibility for strategic integration of generationOn into the programs portfolio;
- Serve as a member of the leadership team and participate in enterprise-wide problem solving and decision making;
- Serve as senior leader in the New York office, responsible for budget, office management, and facilities coordination with Atlanta-based operations team.
- Collaborate with the Development department, CPAO, and other internal stakeholders to design fundable opportunities for youth and family engagement.
- Support the Executive Office with task management, briefing documents for major donor meetings, and meets with and cultivates new individual donors interested in youth and family programs.
Board Relations and Partnerships:
- The Vice President works closely with and engages the generationOn Board, national Board members and volunteers committed to the development and stewardship of generationOn’s mission. He/she will build and strengthen strategic alliances in the community on a local, national and global scale.
Personal and Professional Attributes
Key Professional Attributes:
- Seven – ten years of increasing responsibility for program management and development;
- Experience designing programs and proposals to attract funding opportunities;
- Extensive experience in engaging funders in dialogue regarding program potential, resource needs, capacity/ scale building and outcome or impact measures.
- Knowledge of national and global service sector/volunteer sector and how to drive impact through service and volunteerism among young people, including capacity building with local nonprofits and groups;
- Outstanding communication skills, articulate and persuasive, with well-honed relationship-building skills;
- Outstanding project management skills;
- Excellent event concept and execution skills;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Excellent computer skills, including database management;
Key Personal Attributes:
- A commitment to youth, service and the mission of generationON;
- A high degree of personal initiative with the desire and ability to meet goals;
- An entrepreneurial spirit and creative approach to strategy development;
- An ability to thrive in an environment characterized by significant growth;
- Ability to work in a highly team-oriented culture, with a “no job is too big or too small” approach;
- Bright and creative with effective story-telling skills and experience with selling the business case for investments in youth, young people, families and service as a tool to create thriving communities and cultures.
Bachelor’s degree is required; advanced degree a plus.
Domestic travel expected, approximately 15%.
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience; excellent benefits
For more detailed information about the organization, please visit: www.generationon.org
Interested persons should email a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com and include "VP genOn" in the subject line of your email.
No phone calls please.