Vice President, Events
Vice President, Events
Points of Light is the largest organization in the world dedicated to volunteer service. We bring the power of people to where it is needed most through more than 200 local affiliate organizations based in the U.S. and in 35 countries around the world.
Position: Vice President, Events
Department: Strategy, Engagement & Events
Reports to: Chief Strategy & Engagement Officer
Location: Atlanta, GA, or Washington, DC
This leadership position will be central to managing the organizational priorities and managing relationships with a wide range of external partners, funders, key stakeholders and internal staff to successfully plan and deliver special events and an annual conference. This position is critical in keeping public-facing events and special projects on task and within budget while managing partner, board and staff expectations.
This position also requires a person with experience designing a variety of events from concept to execution, with an understanding of print and collateral development, media coordination and how to deliver events on time and on budget that meet stated participation and behavior goals.
The key responsibilities include strategic direction of a variety of public events, including small specialty functions, high-end donor cultivation events and large-scale public events involving media relations and multiple components. This position supervises a small team and several contractors to deliver an annual multi-day conference in addition to special events, providing creative direction, project management, funding leadership and relationship management.
- Manages a variety of special projects and events for organization’s top funders at the million-dollar level and above ($1M+)
- Creates and manages cross-functional teams for high-exposure projects and accurately documents project progression, funder and partner expectations, timelines and budgets.
- Leadership and oversight of all events created and executed by Points of Light.
- Provide managerial oversight for events including facility utilization, budget planning, marketing strategies, contract administration and customer relations.
- Provide financial forecasting, developing multiyear plans and annual budgets, with the goal to produce revenue-generating events.
- Provide event guidance and counsel to other parts of the organization for smaller/lower-profile events, including contract review and negotiations.
- Create and manage a high performing team, providing supervision and support to direct reports.
- Effectively utilize pro bono and volunteer support, with limited, strategic use of external contractors.
- Build a framework that capitalizes on unanticipated event (or revenue-generating) opportunities that arise during the year.
Qualifications and Skills
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in senior management positions in corporate, agency, or non-profit marketing/communications
- A track record of building, managing and mentoring high-performing teams that produce timely, cost-effective, high-quality results
- Record of success in creating and launching effective cause marketing partnerships, media partnerships, events, and communications/thought leadership platforms
- Strong leadership, analytic, and strategic planning skills, including evidence of ability to work across organizational boundaries to achieve results
- Exercises good judgment in a variety of situations with strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal, technology and organizational skills
- Adaptable, solutions-oriented and able to effectively anticipate the needs of the senior leadership
- Thinks strategically, takes initiative and enjoys learning in a fast-paced environment
- Keeps leadership well informed about and prepared for events, funder/donor/partner meetings and responsibilities, following up appropriately
- Use initiative, attention to detail and critical thinking skills
- Proven capacity for collaborative leadership of staff, vendors and outside advisors (board members, etc.)
- Demonstrated excellence in communications - written and verbal; strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a flexible, entrepreneurial, fast-paced and opportunistic environment
- Highly collaborative style; positive attitude; commitment to continuous improvement and strong work ethic grounded in honesty and integrity
- B.A., or advanced degree in marketing and/or communications preferred
- The duties of this position are primarily office-based, but will require some travel
Salary: Competitive, based upon experience, with comprehensive benefits package.
Interested persons should email a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com. Please include VP Events in the subject line of your email.
No phone calls please