Coordinator, Marketing and Communications
Coordinator, Marketing & Communications
Do you believe that innovation drives results and passion overcomes obstacles? Then join a fast-paced, mission-driven organization with a decidedly entrepreneurial spirit.
Points of Light – the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service – inspires, equips and mobilizes millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through Points of Light’s Global Network of over 200 affiliates in 35 countries and partnerships with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, we engage 5 million people in 20 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people to bear where it’s needed most.
Position Location: Atlanta or Washington, D.C.
Position Reports to: Senior Director, Marketing & Communications
Position Summary: The coordinator supports the department on all major campaigns, events and initiatives, actively contributing to the development and implementation of marketing and communications plans and managing logistics to keep the department running smoothly. He/she manages the social media accounts, email marketing and newsletters for Points of Light and its youth division, generationOn; writes and edits blogs, news releases and social media posts; assists in the development of other marketing and communications materials and assists with PR campaigns and media outreach.
The person in this role must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, write clean, compelling copy under deadline and be familiar with the latest trends in social media marketing. Successful candidates will have strong analytical skills, be highly organized and efficient, able to prioritize and multi-task, and will thrive in an environment that is characterized by significant growth, diversity, and change.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Write and edit clean, compelling editorial content, including blogs, social media posts, fact sheets, web content, and other messaging.
- Manage social media accounts and create content, working with senior communications staff to build presence and increase engagement.
- Write, build and distribute email newsletters and other email communications.
- Implement day-to-day website updates and edits, including blog production, with speed and accuracy.
- Assist in maintaining the department’s editorial calendar.
- Create monthly and quarterly reports summarizing media clips and impressions, website metrics, and social media reach and engagement.
- Manage media monitoring and media distribution accounts; create, manage and update media lists; manage incoming media requests with speed and accuracy.
- Write, edit and distribute news releases, media advisories and media pitches.
- Research information and current trends to keep marketing, press materials and media pitches fresh and accurate.
- Maintain in-house photo library; assist in collection and management of still photography and b-roll video assets to complement communication strategies.
- Manage freelance writer and photographer contracts and assignments.
- Participate in brainstorming strategic and impactful angles, initiatives and activities to support organization goals and campaigns.
- Attend events as necessary in support of the organization’s mission and department needs (travel - less than 10%).
- Assist with management of departmental operations (e.g. processing invoices, coordinating department meetings, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Education:
- Solid writing and editing skills, with the ability to create quality content in a fast-paced environment with competing deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, project management and time management skills, with superior attention to detail and the ability to deal effectively with people at all levels.
- Demonstrated leadership, strategic-thinking and problem-solving skills, with the ability to share creative and new ideas.
- Ability to work well independently and in a team environment; must be versatile and self-directed; able to maintain a high level of professionalism, integrity and confidentiality.
- Ability to research and analyze various types of data and information.
- Familiarity with social media platforms required; demonstrated use of social media in a professional setting is preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Google Analytics, Cision, HTML/CSS, and/or Salesforce are helpful, but not required.
- Knowledge of AP Style is preferred.
- A commitment to community service and the nonprofit sector.
- A minimum of 1 to 2 years of experience in marketing, communications or public relations, with emphasis on creating quality editorial content. (May include relevant fellowships, externships and internship experiences.)
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or a related field.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: email@example.com with “Marketing & Communications Coordinator” as the subject line.
No phone calls please.