Location: Atlanta, GA
Do you believe that innovation drives results and passion overcomes obstacles? Does working with social entrepreneurs and helping to build and support new initiatives inspire and motivate you? Then join a fast-paced, mission-driven organization with a decidedly entrepreneurial spirit.
Points of Light (POL) is the largest organization dedicated to volunteer service – mobilizes millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through affiliates in 250 cities and partnerships with thousands of corporations and non-profits, Points of Light engages 4 million volunteers in 30 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people where it is needed most. For more information, go to www.pointsoflight.org.
Points of Light is seeking a bright and experienced individual with a strong accounting background to join our finance team as Controller. The Controller works with the CFO to ensure internal controls and accuracy in all aspects of financial management for a $25 million annual operating budget including accounting, internal and external reporting, audits, monitoring of cash flow, all banking functions and other requirements specific to non-profit accounting. This position requires a conceptual understanding and professional experience in non-profit accounting practices in order to work on complex assignments with a high degree of independence. The position reports to the Chief Financial Officer, Points of Light Institute.
- Reporting to the chief financial officer (CFO), provide oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities.
- Support presentations to the board finance and audit committees.
- Lead all day-to-day finance operations of a budget of $25 million and supervise a team of 3 staff members including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and grants administration.
- Ensure that Points of Light has the systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation and conduct flawless audits.
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures.
- Coordinate all audit activity including creation of well-documented, easily retrieved working papers and audit trails for all work.
- Ensure excellent customer service by providing timely, accurate and relevant information to all stakeholders.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; Clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; Monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership abreast of Points of Light’s financial status.
- Oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting; Ensure that expenditures are consistently aligned with grant and program budgets throughout the grant/fund period; Prepare financial reporting materials for government, corporate, and foundation grants.
- Ensure compliance with federal regulations, specifically ensuring subgrantee compliance
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting by working in partnership with the program leaders; Continuously collaborates with program leaders to assess the financial efficacy of program operations and establish finance and administrative systems to support program operations.
- Manage and track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and investment guidelines.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members, help to clarify roles and responsibilities and develop and implement training programs in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff at all levels throughout the organization; Create and promote a positive and supportive work environment.
Specific requirements include:
- BA in Accounting; CPA preferred
- Excellent accounting technical skills; willingness to research complex accounting issues.
- Strong financial reporting skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-starter, highly motivated, detail oriented.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to focus on deliverables and manage to delivery with a sense of urgency.
- Process improvement experience and orientation.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Points of Light’s mission.
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
- A track record in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting of government, corporate and foundation grants is essential.
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software.
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; The foresight and ability to delegate accordingly.
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills, which allows for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; Experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board or other outside partners.
Compensation: Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience; excellent benefits. For more detailed information about the organization, please visit: www.pointsoflight.org
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume, with “Controller” in the subject line, to: resumes@PointsOfLight.org