Chief Development Officer
Chief Development Officer
Do you believe that innovation drives results and passion overcomes obstacles? Then join a fast-paced, mission-driven organization with a decidedly entrepreneurial spirit.
Who We Are: Points of Light (POL) inspires, equips and mobilizes people to take actions that change the world. We envision a world in which everyone has discovered their power to make a difference, creating healthy communities in vibrant, participatory societies. For more information, please go to: www.pointsoflight.org
The Opportunity: The exciting role of Chief Development Officer (CDO) creates, executes and evaluates all aspects of Points of Light’s development strategy, including annual giving, major gifts, sponsorships, government, corporate and foundation and special campaigns. The CDO plays an active role in donor relations, research and prospect cultivation and management. The CDO ensures that the enterprise is able to be responsive to marketplace opportunities, while meeting established organizational and fundraising goals and delivering an excellent donor experience. The CDO manages the development team to execute operation plans and ensure achievement of goals, while providing inspirational leadership, mentoring and training.
Opportunity Location: The CDO may work from Atlanta, NY or Washington DC. Points of Light’s headquarters is in Atlanta, and it maintains offices in New York and Washington DC.
Team Structure: As a senior member of the leadership team, the CDO will report to the CEO and will serve as a key thought partner to a range of internal and external stakeholders, including the Board of Directors, senior leadership staff and the global team. The CDO manages a team of 6 direct and dotted-line reports.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Has ten or more years of progressively responsible senior leadership experience in fundraising;
- Has an advanced degree;
- Has a track record of success in fundraising and prior experience testing and developing new funding models for an organization;
- Has experience providing effective and strong development integration across a national and global organization;
- Has demonstrated passion for civic engagement, equality and social progress;
- Has had proven success at fostering collaboration between development and program staff, building and sustaining a successful philanthropic culture;
- Can demonstrate deep-seated passion for Points of Light’s mission, goals and work and has experience in fundraising during a time of rapid organization growth or change;
- Has proven success within a highly flexible and visible, entrepreneurial culture; and
- Is comfortable working under tight timelines in a fast-paced environment.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Collaborates with the CEO, leadership team and Board to create and build a comprehensive multi-year fundraising plan focusing on multi-year commitments from institutional supporters, and building a broader base of corporate, foundation and individual support.
- Provides insight, vision and leadership that enables the enterprise to lead and respond to opportunities within the sector;
- Actively participates in identifying and generating revenue for the enterprise;
- Provides professionally mature, effective, and transparent management;
- Models behavior and creates a culture comfortable with clearly defined goals and reliable methods with which to measure success;
- Establishes trust and strong working relationships with and strategically engages the CEO, Board members, leaders and colleagues throughout the organization, program and campaign staff, and other constituents in fundraising activities (as appropriate) providing meaningful and valuable engagement opportunities;
- Serves as a member of the Senior Management Team and participates in enterprise wide problem solving and decision making;
- Provides for strategic integration of operational activities within and between the development team and other areas of the enterprise;
- Establishes performance measures and monitors results, helping staff and volunteer leadership evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s development strategy;
- Support the production of donor cultivation and recognition events that deepen relationships with donors;
- Represent Points of Light at public events, gatherings and forums and with partnerships to raise public profile and to support programmatic goals.
Qualifications, Skills and Education:
- Ten or more years of progressively responsible senior leadership experience in fundraising or related field
- Advanced Degree
- Demonstrated track record of success in fundraising and other revenue driven endeavors
- Creativity and collaborative or consultative “selling” style
- Comprehensive understanding of the mechanics of fundraising
- Current knowledge of fundraising trends across multiple markets
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically
- A strong value for data-driven decision making and demonstrated success in generating and executing thoughtful, practical solutions
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and create appropriate frameworks and models
- Proven capacity for collaborative leadership of staff, volunteers and outside advisors
- Superior communications and interpersonal skills
- A track record of building, managing and mentoring high-performing teams that produce timely, cost effective, high quality results
- Evidence of a bold and creative leadership style with a bias for hands-on-action capable of leading, inspiring and engaging people
Are you ready for the next significant step in your career? If so, send your resume with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org please include “CDO” in the subject line.
Salary is commensurate with experience, with an excellent benefits package.