Health Center Volunteers Shine as Daily Points of Light
Spread across the country, in different stages of their lives, from various backgrounds – this week’s Daily Point of Light Award winners are united in their commitment to address the health needs of their communities.
For National Health Center Week, Points of Light in partnership with the National Association of Community Health Centers honors health center volunteers, vital team players who help reach out to and serve their uninsured neighbors.
Here are the week’s awardees:
- Alex Ricciardelli of Marblehead, Mass. – a high school student who reads books to pediatric patients at Lynn Community Health Center and has written a book to raise money for the center’s early literacy program
- Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic Community HealthCorps volunteers – A group of AmeriCorps members who provide chronic care home visits, health education, case management, interpreting services and more to patients of Yakima Valley Farm Workers Clinic, which has several locations in Washington state and Oregon
- Mirian Worthy of Albany, Ga. – a former nursing professor who brought in donations of land, buildings, funds and other support to establish Albany Area Primary Health Care
- Clara DelGallo of Bel Air, Md. – a founding board member of the Baltimore Medical System who has served for 28 years in various ways, from board president to neighborhood clinic greeter
- Hilary Garland of Rye, N.Y. – a former marketing executive who is using her expertise to promote the programs of Open Door Family Medical Centers
Each award winner has received a certificate signed by President George H. W. Bush, who established the award during his presidency and who celebrated the 5,000th Daily Point of Light winners recently in the White House, alongside President Obama.
Do you know volunteers making a difference in your community? Nominate them for a Daily Point of Light Award. And if you’re on Twitter, please take a moment to congratulate this week’s winners using the hash tags #NHCW2013 and #MyPointofLight.